What are we doing this year (2023-2024)?
At Stepney Park, children have a range of opportunities to volunteer, including in a number of volunteer groups. These aim to foster a strong sense of community across our school.
This is what we are planning to achieve this year:
- Gathering children's ideas about how we can continue to improve our school.
- Giving the children a 'voice' where their ideas and suggestions are listened to and discussed.
- During the autumn, the planters will need weeding and cleaning.
- In the spring, plants will be ordered and planted.
- Finishing the painting of the planters in the Quiet Area.
- Beginning a new project to knit scarfs for the elderly.
- Continue to setup and resource the quiet areas.
- Talk to children about how we can improve the quiet areas.
- Monitor the friendship bench.
What did we achieve last year (2022-2023)?
Last year, our Volunteer Groups met regularly to discuss, action and review various aspects of our school. The different groups included children from year 1 to year 6. Some of the actions from last year include:
- Organising non-uniform days, in order to raise money for charity. The School Council advertised the event and collected the money.
- The children reported that more playground equipment was being asked for. They audited the current provision then allocated a budget to choose equipment from.
- Created 'Dinner Winners' to further promote the Learning Behaviours at lunchtime.
- In the autumn, planters were identified and weeded.
- Over winter, the ambassadors planned different areas to be planted following different themes.
- In the spring, plants were ordered and planted.
- The ambassadors set up and resourced the quiet areas in the north and south playgrounds.
- They also monitored the friendship benches.
- The children identified that the planters could be aesthetically improved.
- Then each planter was sanded, primed and painted the school colours in a geometric pattern.
- Each week, stories were collected from across the school (e.g. about events, trips, activities and announcements).
- Articles were written in collaboration.
- Each term the Stepney Voice (digital newspaper) was published.